Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Progress - Part 1

I've had a love-hate relationship with Pinterest over the last few years.

Love - in that it's my go-to site for virtually everything.... and hate - in that it depresses me to see all the beautiful (fill-in-blank) that we can't afford.

(Here's looking at you, heated in-ground pool.)

When we first purchased our home seven years ago, we were just excited to have a place that was our very own, and we embraced all the flaws that came with living in an older house.

But it reached a point where I became miserable each time I stepped into our kitchen, so I spent the last year or so searching Pinterest for ideas on renovating a split-level home such as ours.

This open-floor concept is something I fell in love with and decided that I wanted for our main floor.


However, once I started getting quotes for the cost of tearing down walls and installing beams, etc, I immediately became disheartened to admit that we couldn't afford this new look. At best, all we could do was tile our fireplace to look like the one in the photo.

So back to Pinterest I went.

The first (more affordable) thing that I stumbled upon was the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit.

Realizing that we couldn't even afford to replace all of our kitchen and main bathroom's cabinets -- let alone tear down walls -- my husband instead purchased this kit for just under $100 and immediately went to work on giving them a facelift.

I'm not going to lie, he worked day and night for weeks to pull off this enormous feat, but the end result was magnificent. We also added some new nickel handles to all our cabinets -- which unfortunately cost us more than the actual cabinet makeover did -- but it was worth it to add some style to our home.



Note: this is neither my photo nor my kitchen, but these are the same type of cabinets that we have for our kitchen, pantry, main bathroom, and linen closet.
(We also have them in our laundry room, but we left those alone since I'm not bothered by them down there. At least not yet anyway.)




This photo, however, is my own. 
It was taken in a corner of our kitchen, after my husband finished painting and reinstalling our 80's-style cabinets, but before we (painstakingly) installed the nickel handles. 
(And yes, I made sure my daughter watched in awe as I used a power drill and hand-made jig to install some of the handles myself.)



So as you can see, it wasn't necessary for us to spend thousands on new cabinets after all. All we needed to do was paint them and add handles, all for less than $300.

Pinterest win.



No comments:

Post a Comment