Monday, December 7, 2015

Reluctant mommy

My 20-year-old self would be horrified by this post.

Once upon a time, when I was young and fearful of what I anticipated to be my lack-of-a-successful-future, all I truly wanted in life was a family that loved me.

Mercifully, I've been blessed with just that -- a husband who loves me unconditionally, and two kids that are still young enough to think I'm pretty cool.

So then why am I so miserable? And why do I not-so-secretly hate being a parent some days and instead dream of a land where I can live alone and only have to take care of myself?

At the risk of sounding whiny, I'm tired.....  every day is like groundhog day. And it's sad that my goal most days is to just be able to use the potty in private, without my daughter using her barrette to pick the lock and walk in. (True story. She does that regularly now.)

I look upon single parents with sheer bewilderment. How do they do it?

But I also keep reminding myself that it won't be like this for long, and one day I'll yearn for these simpler times when my kids are small and sweet and want nothing more than to spend time with their parents.

They're only this size today, I keep telling myself.

And one day I'll miss all of this.


It Won't Be Like This For Long - Darius Rucker


You're Gonna Miss This - Trace Adkins

No comments:

Post a Comment