Thursday, December 31, 2015

One year

1) What did you do in 2015 that you have never done before?

- Broke my ankle while out on a walk with the kids. Spent the next little while cursing my crutches and cast.

- Became a landlord. Hated it. Had the rent-dodging family evicted, complete with the use of a bailiff. Will now have the pleasure of dealing with a collections agency in the new year.

- Was published in a couple of magazines put out by the Edmonton Journal.

- Participated in a Fear Factor food competition at the annual Halloween potluck at work. The smoked-duck's neck is what did me in.



2) Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make any more next year?

No, and no.




3) Where did you travel?

Flew to Kelowna and then visited the Kootenays of British Columbia for a family wedding in May.



4) What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Went back to work full-time and didn't end up losing my mind. Although the latter remains debatable.



5) What was your biggest failure?

The debacle surrounding the rental of my mom's house via the use of a management company that required me to micro-manage them every step of the way. The entire process cost us thousands of dollars and has exponentially increased my homicidal tendencies.

Oh, and I also failed at this:




6) Did you suffer illness or injury?

As mentioned, I broke my ankle in late spring. The bigger you are, the harder you fall... and the further the resulting setback becomes.



7) What things / people disappointed you the most?

Just people, in general.

I'm disappointed that my work doesn't allow for enough flexibility when it comes to dealing with personal, life-altering issues.

I'm disappointed that the management company I dealt with screwed us over in every way imaginable.

I'm disappointed that people will lie and fake illness in order to get out of contracts.

I'm disappointed that there are only 24 hours in a day, which is certainly not enough time for me to achieve such basic tasks as preparing dinner, getting enough rest, or spending quality time with family.



8) Where did most of your money go?

- Mortgage
- Renovations
- Daycare / School
- Lawyer Fees



9) What did you really get excited about?

Having a clean house. The feeling lasted all of 10 minutes before the place was destroyed again.



10) What song will always remind you of 2015?

Thinking Out Loud, by Ed Sheeran
Hello, by Adele



11) Compared to this time last year, are you:

- Happier or hardened? Hardened.
- Thinner or fatter? Fatter.
- Richer or poorer? Poorer.



12) What do you wish you'd done more of?

Been more physically active.



13) What do you wish you'd done less of?

Screen time, even though much of it was work-related.



14) Favourite film this year? Least favourite?

Really enjoyed That Sugar Film (for being such an eye-opener) and Identity Thief (for my love of Melissa McCarthy, Jason Bateman, and Robert Patrick).



Didn't really care for August: Osage County. The acting was well done, but the movie itself was meh.



15) What was the one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Good health for me and the people I care about. Plus having good renters would have done wonders in terms of keeping my cortisol levels in check.



16) What kept you sane?

As much as it gets in the way of just living life, my work has kept me sane in that it's been an escape from the life that has been challenging me the most.



17) Which celebrity / public figure did you fancy the most? Fancy the least?

Same as last year: Andrew Ference, the (former) Edmonton Oilers captain, has such a great perspective on life, and he makes me want to go out for a jog or something.

On the other hand, it's mind-boggling to me that someone like Donald Trump can have so much power and influence. 'Murica.



18) What news story fascinated you the most?

The day that Spider Mable united a city was truly remarkable.



19) What sports moment did you like the most? Hate the most?

Jose Bautista's bat flip is something we'll remember for a long time.




That the Mets lost to the Kansas City Royals is something we'd like to forget.




20) Who do you miss?

My mom, still, and always.




21) What do you look forward to in 2016?

More sleep, less stress, and a happier household.



No comments:

Post a Comment