Thursday, May 7, 2015

Shoreline of wonder

Maybe in my next life I'll be as carefree as Noelle Hancock. But, for now, I can only admire her life from afar.

Hancock's thought-provoking tale recently appeared online for Cosmopolitan, where she explained to the world why she left her nearly-six-figure Manhattan job to go live on an island and scoop ice cream.

There are plenty of times I've dreamed of doing something like this, but let's face it. I don't have the guts to go beyond dreaming.

What I do have, however, is a family, a mortgage, and other elderly relatives to care for.

So, yeah, even if I wasn't so afraid of the unknown, I still would not pull up stakes and just move to the Caribbean.

Plus, where Hancock is the free-spirit, I am the worry-wart.

What if I get sick? What are their doctors and hospitals like?
Do they have a legitimate education system down there?
And is it a safe place to live? Is their police force corrupt?

I know, all these thoughts of mine are closed-minded and feeding off of negative stereotypes. But that's what fear does to people, and I am definitely too afraid of making such a life-altering change.

I remember once, on a visit to Barbados, my mom and husband and I went on a jeep-riding adventure where we visited a wildlife reserve and went off-roading past some sugar cane fields and various neighbourhoods.

During a pit stop on the eastern coast bordering the Atlantic Ocean, our driver spoke to us of all the places he'd traveled in the world. And despite all he had seen, nothing took his breath away like his native Barbados. He was happy to make a simple living there, rather than living a different life in a richer country.

At the time, I remember thinking that his life seemed plenty rich already, given his surroundings and relatively stress-free lifestyle.

My mom and husband, enjoying a well-deserved break in Barbados.

But despite all these yearnings I have to live a similar existence to that of Hancock and the driver, I know that my destiny is to just visit these places rather than making them my home.

Like I said, maybe in my next life things will be different.


--


As an aside, Hancock is also the author of the current book I'm reading, My Year with Eleanor: A Memoir.

Here, Hancock makes good on Eleanor Roosevelt's famous advice to "do one thing every day that scares you."


I've only just begun reading this book but, so far, I'm already feeling inspired to do and achieve more..... even if I never do move to the Caribbean.


2 comments:

  1. Living in the Caribbean would be awesome, but I too only dream of doing crazy things like that (and I don't even have a husband and kids to worry about).

    It is so much easier to just do what feels comfortable and familiar rather than what might scare us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fairness, it's a lot easier to do this when you have a healthy savings that someone making six-figures would.

    ReplyDelete