Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Magical

For those times when I'm stuck at home because my son is napping, or when my mind is just too scattered for me to do any decent writing (or anything else resembling productivity), I like to read. Which is good, because it's a much healthier escape for me than just venting my frustrations online.

And, as my husband often relays to our daughter, books are magical because they can take us anywhere.


About a month or so ago, I finished reading two very different, though equally engaging, books.

It Was Me All Along: A Memoir is a sad, yet uplifting story by Andie Mitchell. She tells the tale of growing up overweight in a dysfunctional home and then, ultimately, losing all the weight while on her own in university. 

Sure, there are plenty of stories out there just like this one, of women who have beat the odds and changed their lives for the better, but hers makes for a remarkably inspiring tale. It made me feel like I could do it, too. 

In fact, when I was done reading, I just wanted to set the book down and go for a jog or something, except for the fact that, you know, my son was napping. Ahem.



And then there's Holy Cow: A Novel, by television's favourite paranoid Special Agent, David Duchovny. 

Unlike the above novel, I can pretty much guarantee there is no other book out there quite like this one. 

As is widely known, this is the story of a gallivanting cow named Elsie who travels the globe and unwittingly solves the world's problems.

And while it sounds bizarre and unconventional, I really did enjoy this book. It was a page-turner, and my husband and I were both able to finish it in less than 48 hours.

It's a good thing Duchovny was able to put his Master's Degree from Yale University to use after all, as he really is a terrifically fun and witty writer. 

Here's hoping he continues this writing trend.



Aside from these two novels, there was actually a third book I checked out late last month as well. 

Alberta 100 Years a Home was put together several years ago by articles from the Calgary Herald and the Edmonton Journal. And it is fascinating. 

We're often inundated with histories of other provinces or nations, only to neglect our own, which is why this book is so magical. The photos alone are mesmerizing, if not a little heartbreaking.

This book is a must-see for any good Albertan looking for a sense of local history.



No comments:

Post a Comment