Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Stockpiling

You've heard of the blind leading the blind -- well this was hoarders helping hoarders.

A couple of my sisters came over a few weeks ago, essentially staging an intervention against the clutter that is my house, and helped to reorganize my kitchen.

This came about because, since we've been cleaning out my mom's house, I've been complaining that there are so many things of hers that I want to keep, but I just don't have the space for them in my home.

My mom's house has a tremendous amount of storage space, as well as a functionally-sized kitchen, whereas my house has neither of these two things.

So when my sisters first came over and did a walk-through of my entire house -- including *shudder* closets and cupboards -- the consensus was this: I need to get rid of some things.


And then they went to work, tearing apart my kitchen while I stood around helpless, hands on my cheeks, feeling completely overwhelmed.

But don't get me wrong -- it was actually really great.

I usually try to be a super-organized person, but I've just been so overwhelmed by, well, everything lately, and it's like I've been physically incapable of cleaning my own home.

I know that sounds ludicrous, but most days I wake up saying, "Okay, today's the day I'm going to tackle that closet / pantry / cabinet / fill-in-the-blank." And then I approach said task but just don't know where to start.... and so I don't. I don't start at all, and I continue to feel bogged down by the clutter.

Which is why I needed an intervention.

My sisters did such a great job in the kitchen -- I have counter space now, you guys!! -- that I want them to come back and do the rest of the house.

It's a tremendously vulnerable feeling, having someone come in and tear apart your home, but it needed to be done. And they reminded me that they, too, are hoarders in their own right, and that it's always easier to clean someone else's home rather than your own.

This could be true... or maybe they were just trying to spare my feelings. Either way, they heard my cry for help and gave me a much needed boost in my war against the clutter.


2 comments:

  1. I would gladly come over and help with your war against clutter. When you move 7 times in 15 years - you get pretty good at reducing "stuff" (although I still have too many things, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when you used to come to my house to help me clean? Having other people's perspective can totally help.

    ReplyDelete