Thursday, April 16, 2015

Party-prepping season

Both of my children were born in the month of June, which was intentionally planned by my husband and I for one reason only: We hate throwing birthday parties and will do just about anything to get out of this task. (Including having our children born in the same month so as to only host one combined party each year.)

Seriously. That's how methodical we are I am.

Part of the problem is that I dread having large groups over at our too-small-for-entertaining home, especially if the weather is problematic and the kids can't play outside.

The other issue is that our kids have already been blessed with so many things that there's really nothing more that they need. That, and we really don't have the room for any more stuff in our lack-of-built-in-storage-space home.

For the last six months I've been planting the seed in my daughter's ear about having a "no gifts" party from now on, but it hasn't gone over very well. And, in her defense, I get it. She's four years old and is naturally just as excited about the gifts as she is about playing with her friends.

Recently, though, I seem to have found a solution, as was presented to me by this clip from the BT Parent Panel a few months ago:


YES. A thousand times YES.

I am all over this idea for a "two-toonie" birthday party for my kids.

In short, each child attending the party is to bring two toonies ($2 coins for the non-Canadians out there) instead of a gift. Half of the money received will go towards the birthday girl/boy's charity of choice, and the other half will go towards a gift they will later choose for themselves.

The benefits to this, in my opinion, are threefold:

1. It teaches children to give (to charities) and not just to receive.

2. It saves the parents of guests from having to dish out excessive money for presents that will inevitably just clutter up the host's home.

3. It reinforces the idea that the party is about celebrating and spending time with friends, rather than placing all the focus on gifts.

I introduced the idea to my daughter tonight and, although she wasn't overly thrilled with the idea of only getting one present, at least she didn't immediately shoot it down like she did with my "no gifts" proposal.

So what do you all think about this? Have you been to a "two-toonie" party before? How did it go over for everyone involved?


No comments:

Post a Comment