Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Wild on screen

“…the death of my mother was the thing that made me believe the most deeply in my safety: nothing bad could happen to me, I thought. The worst thing already had.” 

― Cheryl Strayed, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail


For those who are interested in seeing Reese Witherspoon portray Cheryl Strayed in the movie version of Wild, your best bet is to read the book first. Or better yet, listen to it on tape, like I did.

Truth be told, it took me a little while to really get into the story, which is why it's a good thing that I was listening to it on my iPod. Had I just been reading the book, I may never have gotten past the first couple of chapters, which would have been a real shame.

Last Friday was my 37th birthday or, as my husband put it, my first birthday without parents.

Only two movies that interest me are playing in theatres right now: American Sniper and, of course, Wild. Given the circumstances, it was a no-brainer for me to select Wild for our first night out alone in months.

For the record, I did really enjoy the movie, and I'm glad I got to see it on the big screen. But for others to enjoy it, too, I really do feel that the book needs to be read (or listened to) first. 

I don't know anyone who's read the book and didn't love it. It moved me in many ways, but, of course, it will affect everyone differently depending on what they're going through in life.

So go out and read the book, then see the move. You won't regret it.





All the things I’d done in my life, of all the versions of myself I’d lived out, there was one that had never changed: I was a writer.”

― Cheryl Strayed, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail




No comments:

Post a Comment