Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Goodbye 2014, and good riddance

1) What did you do in 2014 that you have never done before?

- Gave birth to my second child, a boy, in June.
- Had five articles published in the Edmonton Journal in November.


2) Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make any more next year?

No, and yes. I think Dagmara Dominczyk said it best yesterday:

This year I am making New Year's Resignations. As in, I resign myself to the fact that I love French onion dip.


3) Any major life events happen in your life?

- June 1, my son was born
- October 4, my father-in-law passed away
- December 12, my mom passed away


4) Where did you travel?

To the hospital and back. Repeatedly. As in, I was on a first-name basis with the nursing staff at two major hospitals for the last eight months. And now, just 'cause 2014 wants to continue kicking me while I'm down, I'll be spending New Year's Eve alone in the hospital with my 7-month-old son, who was just admitted last night and will be on IV fluids for a few days.


5) What did you lack in 2014 that you would like more of in 2015?

A healthy self and a healthy family.


6) What dates from 2014 will remain etched in your memory?

See question #3.


7) What was your biggest achievement of the year?

See question #1.


8) What was your biggest failure?

Not telling my mom how much I loved her and how thankful I was for all that she did for me.


9) Did you suffer illness or injury?

I did, while pregnant, but it's hardly worth mentioning anymore.


10) What was the best purchase you made?

The health aids that made my mom's life a little easier towards the end.


11) What things / people inspired you the most?

My mom and my husband.


12) What things / people disappointed you the most?

The health care system. There's a lack of communication between nurses, doctors, patients, and family members. I often felt the doctors treating my mom were completely in the blind when making decisions and, because of this, I feel mistakes were made in her treatment. Repeatedly.


13) Where did most of your money go?

- Mortgage
- Daycare
- Hospital parking


14) What did you really get excited about?

Finally giving birth and relieving all that pressure on my bladder.


15) What song will always remind you of 2014?

Meanwhile Back at Mama's, by Tim McGraw




16) Compared to this time last year, are you:

- Happier or hardened? Hardened. I'm downright bitter these days.
- Thinner or fatter? Fatter.
- Richer or poorer? Poorer.


17) What do you wish you'd done more of?

Been more physically active.


18) What do you wish you'd done less of?

Simply existing in a sedentary lifestyle.


19) Favourite film this year? Least favourite?

Really enjoyed Philomena. Really did not care for American Hustle.



20) What was the one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Good health for me and the people I care about!


21) How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?

Maternity wear. Even now, seven months after my son was born.


22) What kept you sane?

My husband, for being my rock. And my kids, for forcing me to get up in the morning.


23) Which celebrity / public figure did you fancy the most? Fancy the least?

Andrew Ference, the Edmonton Oilers captain, has such a great perspective on life, and he makes me want to go out for a jog or something.

The Kardashians, on the other hand, are his polar opposite.


24) What news story fascinated you the most?

The disappearance of Malaysian Airlines flight 370 on March 8, 2014.

Seriously. WHERE. IS. THAT. PLANE.


25) What sports moment did you like the most? Hate the most?

The best sports-related event from this year came when my husband actually took interest in the Sochi Olympics and looked forward to reading all the #sochifails tweets online.

The worst moment involves the fact that the Oilers continue to lose.


26) Who is your 2014 Person of the Year?

Hands down, my husband.


27) Who do you miss?

My mom, obviously.


28) What do you look forward to in 2015?

Better health for myself and all those that I love.

I'm just so ready for 2014 to come to an end.



No comments:

Post a Comment