Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Photo hound

There are two truths about me: I tend to take too many photos, and I love free stuff.

Several years ago I signed up to receive a free magazine subscription to Photo News, which has offered a few tips on becoming a better photographer, but mostly what it's done is emphasize just how much my own photos suck.

But I'm okay with that, for the most part.

I'm not looking to become a pro photographer or sell my photos or anything like that, so by no means is it essential for me to own thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment.

But boy would it be nice to just have my photos really capture the beauty of what I see each day.

So many times I've returned from vacation with a camera full of exotic landscapes and wildlife, but those photos almost never see the light of day. I find myself almost apologetic for them. "The photos don't do that place justice; you really had to be there."

In the current issue of Photo News (Volume 22, No. 4 / Winter 2013-2014), Michael DeFreitas wrote an article titled "Put the Wild back in Wildlife: Add some bite to tame wildlife images" in which he offers some pro tips on wildlife photography. He even features multiple photos, including one he took of a pink flamingo in Curacao.

(Jo's note: I, too, was in Curacao a year and a half ago..... but none of my photos look quite like THAT. Ahem.)

For the most part, these tips are way out of my reach ("Use a slow, quiet, zigzag approach to get closer to animals), because, with a toddler in tow, I almost never have the opportunity to approach anything quietly anymore. All my photos these days are snapped up quickly while I cross my fingers and hope for the best.

My version of exotic Curacao.

But for those who have the time and patience to put these tips into practice, then it could be worthwhile to check out this magazine and make the most out of your photo-taking endeavors.

To sign up for and receive your own free subscription, check out this link.


No comments:

Post a Comment