Monday, January 20, 2014

De-motivational posters?

Given that we're nearing the end of January and I've already sinned by repeatedly breaking my New Year's resolutions, I've felt the need to review some of the motivational images on my Pinterest account.

This may sound silly to some, but the various slogans and images I've collected on there really do help me keep things in perspective and get me back on track.

But I'm sure they're not for everyone.

The thing is, each one of us differs in terms of what motivates us and keeps us going.

Some people are motivated by a fear of failure. Others find motivation by the use of incentives and rewards. And then there are the lucky few who are self-motivated enough to improve upon their lots in life simply because they want to grow as individuals.

Whatever you find that works for you, there's just no guarantee that others will find the same sort of inspiration from it.

Back in October, a California mom by the name of Maria Kang posted this image of herself and her young'uns with the hope that she could "inspire people everywhere."




Yes, she's gorgeous and obviously lives a healthy lifestyle. But, just to clarify, this image appears no where on my Pinterest account.

While this may be motivating to some, it actually does the opposite for me and instead only serves to make me feel worse about myself. De-motivational for sure.

I wouldn't go so far as to accuse this woman of fat-shaming other women who've struggled to reclaim their figures post-baby, but I can certainly understand why she faced a plethora of angry backlash from moms everywhere when this poster emerged.

Instead of motivating me to get off the couch and start working out, this image just depresses me and kind of makes me feel as though there's no hope.

I mean, where's the dandy little inspirational slogan that's going to make me feel optimistic for the future?

All I see here is, "Hey, I obviously had no problem losing all my baby weight, so what's wrong with you? Why haven't you achieved this, too?"

Obviously that's not the message she intended to come across -- at least I hope not, anyway -- but that's the way this poster reads to me.

Something like this is more along the lines of what motivates me instead:


 
 
Or this:
 
 


And even this:




But, like I said, motivation comes in all shapes, sizes, and formats.

So what do you think? Is Maria Kang an inspiration to you? Or do you secretly want to hate her a little?

Let's discuss.




No comments:

Post a Comment