Monday, September 23, 2013

Clutter bug

“Organization isn't about perfection; 
it's about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money, and improving your overall quality of life.” 
- Christina Scalise -


Remember when I complained about the pile of clutter that has become my home? Well, yeah, it's still driving me crazy.

The main problem I have is that, sure, I can clean and organize the house so that everything's in its place.... but then, within 24 hours, it seems as though a small hurricane has again passed through that same space, not just undoing my meticulous organizing, but also bringing with it NEW items that add to the disorganization.

This stresses me to no end, yo.


The good news is that I'm not the only one who has this problem, so my friend Bonnie introduced me to The Nesting Place's 31 Days to a Better Dressed Nest in an effort to assist me with some of the bigger challenges I face just walking through the door each day.

You'll see from the link that Day 1 of this challenge is all about giving something away, which both pleases and terrifies me.

The problem I have is this: I tend to form an unhealthy attachment to inanimate objects.

"Aww... I used this text book back in my second year of university when I (briefly) majored in zoology. I don't care that it's outdated and I'll probably never open it again. I have to keep it forever! How can I just toss away these memories?"

That was only a mild exaggeration of the truth. Seriously, this is how my mind works.

The other issue I have with just giving things away is that I often think to myself, why would I give this away when I could potentially sell it and make back some money?

(You know, just in case anyone is looking for a 17-year-old zoology textbook....)

In terms of selling away some of our clutter, I'm too lazy busy to have a garage sale, so posting ads on Kijiji seems to be a better fit for me. The only problems with this is that sales are slow, and it can take months before someone is willing to buy my junk most prized possessions. Which really doesn't help our clutter situation in the short-term.

So, in some cases, it really is best to "just give it away!" (Said in my best George Strait singing voice.)

Usually, when I'm looking to give away some freebies, I'll post on the Edmonton Earthcycle site, in which everything is free. 

If I'm not mistaken, their policy is still that you must first offer away two freebies before posting a request for an item yourself. It's amazing what people will give away, and even more amazing what people will take.

Just this summer I gave away two DVD players that were no longer working -- the gentleman who picked them up said he was going to try to fix them but, if that didn't work, he would just use them for parts.

Getting rid of those two dust-collectors without filling up a landfill was really the best outcome I could have asked for.

Another situation this summer in which I was able to give away some items was to my daughter's daycare. They held a garage sale themselves to help raise money for some new equipment, and many of the parents contributed items to sell. 

(The fact that we ended up buying more items from said garage sale than what we donated is beyond the point and hardly worth mentioning at all. Ahem.)

Anyway, the moral of this story is that, yes, I guess I am capable of de-cluttering our home by giving stuff away..... you know, once I get over that whole 'unhealthy attachment' thing, that is.



1 comment:

  1. I also have a tendency to hold on to things for way too long. One of the good things that came from leaving my husband, is that as I packed my stuff to move back to Edmonton, I did a LOT of de-cluttering. In fact I have been slowly getting rid of the useless crap over the past five years and 4 moves.

    Good luck !!

    ReplyDelete