Thursday, August 29, 2013

Grab-bag Blogging: End of Summer Edition

Some random thoughts to share, simply because I haven't had the time to write a single, full-length, legitimate blog post in a while.


* You know what's annoying about reading Woman's World magazine? The fact that EVERY headline ends with an exclamation point.

"Walk off 15 lbs by July 4!" 
"Why salt may be making you fat!"
"You deserve the best... shampoo!"

I do enjoy reading this magazine on occasion, but I admitedly have a hard time taking it seriously when I see all those exclamation points constantly leaping out at me. It'd be one thing if they were limitted to the front cover, but no. They're everywhere! And it's like the magazine writers are always using their outside voices with me.




* Saw my first ever Edmonton Fringe play last weekend, and it was terrific. The best thing about it was that it starred two women in their 70s, one of whom is a coworker of my husband's. Great to see that there are still meaty roles out there for older women. (Thank you, Golden Girls, for paving the way. Oh, yeah, and also for being a friend.)


* The more I watch America's Got Talent, the more I feel that Heidi Klum has no business being on that show. I can't be the only one who feels this way, can I??


* Many thanks going out to the CW Network for bringing back Whose Line Is It Anyway, the show that helped me make it through university. And I especially love that they've stayed true to the original Drew Carey version from ABC, right down to set design. And while I would have preferred it if Drew could have returned as host, I have to admit that Aisha Tyler is doing a great job. (Yes, as in Archer's Aisha Tyler... the woman who can make a cartoon character sexy.)

The only thing I don't really care for is all the special celebrity guests they bring on for a couple of segments each episode. Maybe it's just me, but I find those segments to be the least funny and, frankly, I'd rather just see the regular Whose Line stars anyway.




* Speaking of Whose Line stars, it's so great to see Wayne Brady doing something other than hosting Let's Make a Deal everyday. Sure, it's an entertaining game show, and I'm sure he's paid very well to do it, but still. That man is far too talented to be wasting away on a game show, and it saddens me to think that many of today's youth only know him as the guy who gives away money on daytime TV.


* Divulge with Dani hosted a terrific Girl's Night last week at her home, in which us ladies -- wait for it -- did some scrapbooking. And it was so much fun!!

I love the feeling of accomplishment I get after I complete a page, and it's something I really need to do more often in my spare time.

(Wait -- does this mean we're officially considered old?)




* There are a multitude of reasons for why I'm sad to see summer coming to an end, but one of them involves my daughter's day care schedule. For July and August, the staff at her day care supply us with a calendar of daily events that are so cool they make me want to skip work and attend day care myself.

(Note: My husband and I actually did this in July. We booked a day off work so we could chaperone our daughter's class to the John Janzen Nature Centre. And it was super fun, if not totally exhausting.)

Other fun summer day care events included trips to a gymnastics club, the Fringe, and the museum. Plus, they had a dental hygienist come in a couple times to check their teeth, and every Friday there's been a Yoga instructor on site to teach the kiddies a few moves.

Yes, my daughter can do the downward dog.

Me? Not so much, but I digress.


Not my kid in this photo, but it's still hilariously cute.


Earlier this week, the day care hosted their annual Summers End BBQ and Open House, which was a lot of fun except for the fact that it essentially means summer is coming to an end.

Boo!

Where did the time go??



1 comment:

  1. Great job, I really appreciate your efforts, We have also arranged a Picture Collection of Aisha Tyler, Please visit our Collection and provide your feedback.

    ReplyDelete