Sunday, June 23, 2013

Up to speed

It occured to me that I make a lot of bold statements on here, but I rarely tend to follow them up in real life.

Example of what I might say on my blog: 
"I'm going to stick to my diet and work out like crazy so that I can lose some weight this year." 

Example of what happens in real life: 
"I'm going to get in my car and drive to McDonalds so that I can supersize some fries."

Given that this is (sadly) my nature these days, it actually feels pretty good to announce that I've achieved two of the things I proposed doing earlier this year. Well, sort of.

The first item worth mentioning is that I attempted to read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I say attempted simply because I just couldn't get through the entire book. I hate not being able to finish things I've started, but I made it through the third chapter and just wasn't interested enough to continue.


Sorry, Divulge with Dani. I know you wanted us to read this book together, but it wasn't meant to be for me. Not that it wasn't interesting or anything, but it just didn't hold my attention. The parts I read were depressing and bringing me down and, even though I knew there would be a happy ending in this book, I just couldn't do it.

It kind of reminded me of The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren in that they were delivering similar messages. I read that book back in 2004, and it was given to me my someone who thought I really needed it at that time. And they were right. 

That's probably what made the difference for me between the two books: I needed The Purpose Driven Life, and so I of course loved it and the message it gave to me. But I just wasn't mentally or emotionally connecting with One Thousand Gifts at this time.

But who knows? Maybe it'll have different meaning to me if I try reading it again in the future at some point.

As for the other topic I want to touch on, my daughter and I made one of the items on my Pinterest to-do list today: the Melted Bead Sun Catchers.

And they're fabulous!!


Here's how it's done:

1. Go to Wal-Mart or Michaels or anywhere else that sells inexpensive translucent beads.

2. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Celcius. 

3. Place one layer of beads along the bottom of a cake pan or muffin pan, depending on how big you want your sun catchers to be.

4. Bake beads for 20 minutes. (Open all windows in your kitchen, because melting plastic STINKS yo.)

5. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes.

6. Flip over the pans and VOILA, sun catchers.

7. If there aren't any spaces between your melted beads, you'll need to drill a small hole for the fishing line before you can hang them up. But if you're lucky enough to have some space where the beads didn't meld together, then you can just use that opening instead.


The finished product, complete with a little helping hand.

All we need to do now is run out and get some fishing line to hang them up. Can't wait!!





No comments:

Post a Comment