Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday's Top Five - Books I want to read this year

I hate admitting this out loud -- because it almost sounds like a bad thing when I say it -- but we have too many books in our house. So many that, frankly, I feel we need a larger home just to house our collection. I know many of my readers understand and can appreciate this situation.

The thing is, we LOVE reading. Sometimes the same book twice. And it's because of this that the pile of new-and-yet-to-be-cracked-open books on my nightstand is vastly larger than the pile of books I've already devoured.

But as my husband recently said to me, you can never have too many books. And so I present.....


Friday's Top Five - Books I want to read this year:

5) One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Over the Christmas break, Divulge with Dani recommended we each read this book in an attempt to revive our long-forgotten Book Club. So I took it out of the library and have already read the first few pages......... but that was three weeks ago.



It's time for me to renew this book from the library for another three weeks, so here's hoping I can finish it before it comes up due again.



4) Fifty Shades of Grey by EL James

My husband flew to Alabama last summer and purchased this book while he waited in an airport. From what I know, he didn't finish it. And it's been collecting dust in our basement ever since.



From what I've heard of this book so far, most people have been a little disappointed in that it didn't live up to all it's hype.

And, yet, I remain intrigued. 

Here's hoping this makes for a nice light summer read...... and that I'm not disappointed.



3) The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I really wanted to read this book before seeing the movie, but it didn't happen. Even though I was given this book by my nephew and his girlfriend for my birthday last year, I was also given a free movie-rental voucher.

So, naturally, I rented the movie for free before getting a change to read the book. And I freakin' loved it.




I do kind of wish I had taken the time to first read the novel, though, but I guess it's never too late. The good news is that I know I won't be disappointed with the plot.





2) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

I admit I have no clue as to the plot of this tale. But my husband purchased this book for me with the intent of having me read it before we could see the movie together.

That was three-and-a-half years ago, and I have yet to read the book or see the movie.

Could 2013 be the year I finally achieve both those tasks??







1) Chicken Soup for the Traveler's Soul by various authors

Since we're on the topic of procrastination... ahem..... here goes:

Prior to becoming parents, my husband and I used to read to each other.... (you know, kind of like Joey and Pacey on Dawson's Creek). This usually happened in bed or on long road trips, and it was bliss.

We've read a few of the Chicken Soup books to each other, and they're all wonderful, but we began reading this one during my pregnancy in 2009/2010.... and, well, we still haven't been able to finish it.


Don't get me wrong - this book is terrific. But by the time we get into bed after a long day of work and then parenting, we're just DONE.

Okay, well, it's me who's just done. As in, I have difficulty keeping my eyes open during my daughter's book time and am usually in bed by 9pm.

So here's to hoping I finally develop the stamina required to read in bed again without falling asleep..... otherwise all these books will end up on my to-read list for 2014.....


----
Okay peeps, you know the routine. Leave a comment and then check out Divulge with Dani's blog next.




3 comments:

  1. Reading books is still my favourite way to relax.

    Let me comment on the ones on this list that I have read:

    Fifty Shades of Grey - it was like a really long, detailed Harlequin novel. So I quite enjoyed it, as it reminded me of library visits from when I was younger. It's not the most well written series - but it does make a nice light read.

    The Help - LOVED this book, in fact you mentioning it here makes me want to read it again. I took it camping in August of 2011 and devoured it.

    The Time Traveler's Wife - another book I LOVED. The movie was good too. Read the book and then see the movie (my preferred order of things in general). I think I will read this again too.

    Ok, how did I end up with more books on my "To Read" list, I still have to purchase "The Girl that Kicked The Hornet's Nest" and also finish off the last two books in the Fire and Ice series (Game of Thrones) plus I wanted to reread the Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input!! And, yes, reading is a fabulous way to relax and escape the real world for a bit.

      It's funny... one of Steve's friends posted on FB that she hasn't read a single thing since high school (15+years ago).... not even a newspaper.

      And I was like: W...T...F. How does that even happen?? I don't mean to judge, but I do think it's sad that the only reading she does comes in the form of FB status updates.

      Delete
  2. Some pretty good books. I have the Help but haven't read it yet, so I can lend it to you. At least I think I do...well either I do or my mom does.

    I shouldn't judge that friend because I only read two books in the last year. But what the hell man? 15 years? And only facebook statuses? For crying out loud, get an Archie or something!

    ReplyDelete