Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday's Top Five - Least Favourite Christmas Carols

Let the Christmas Crazy continue!

At first I thought choosing my top five favourite Christmas carols was difficult, but this week's task of selecting the five I hate the most is proving to be almost as impossible.

Why? Because I LOVE CHRISTMAS CAROLS.

Yes, much to Divulge with Dani's chagrin, I'm one of those dorks who loves the fact that certain radio stations do nothing but play Christmas music for several weeks leading up to the big day.

In fact, in my office at work, I have the luxury of tapping into one of the many un-interuppted holiday radio stations online so that I can listen to the joys of the season during my full work day. All day, every day.

(And, yes, I'm sure that everyone who enters my office is mortified. But, frankly, that's how I roll.)

So, as I was saying, given that I love this music so much, it was fairly difficult for me to come up with five songs that I hate...... but here goes!





Friday's Top Five - Least Favourite Christmas Carols:

5) Sleigh Ride (by SheDaisy)

Let me clarify: I do actually really love this song. But I loathe the SheDaisy version.

I'm sorry, ladies, I know you are talented and have great vocals, but you've ruined all that is good and warm about this tune.

To put it into perspective, I would prefer listening to the Disney Sing-A-Long version of Sleigh Ride with Mickey Mouse and Scrooge McDuck over the awful SheDaisy version any day.



4) Santa Baby (by Madonna)

I'm torn over this song. I don't really hate it, per se. I actually kind of like it.... except for the fact that Madonna's done a cover.

I can't really put my finger on why I dislike having her sing this song, but I think it has to do with the fact that I find her to be more smutty than sexy, and this tune just perpetuates that notion.

It makes me feel icky when I hear it, and for that reason I simply cannot tolerate it among the gems of holiday radio.





3) Wonderful Christmastime (by Paul McCartney)

Paul McCarney recently played a couple of concerts here last week and, the way the media was telling it, this was the second coming of Christ.

To which I, of course, stood up and said to my husband, "I don't really get what's so great about him. Or The Beatles for that matter."

(Okay, okay, I get that I'm in the minority here, but please don't send me hate mail. I do like some songs by The Beatles, but for the most part I'm certain they were high on LSD during a lot of their writing sessions.)

Ahem, anyway, back to this Christmas song: I just don't like it.

It gets stuck in my head to the point where I just want Christmas to be over already so that I can go another year without being subjected to this tune. (If you can even call it that.)



2) Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas (by Alan Jackson)

I don't even know where to start with this song.

It is so incredibly sad, and I know it's a story that needs to be told because there are undoubtedly multiple families that will endure this same situation over Christmas, but still. That doesn't mean I have to enjoy listening to it on the radio.

If anything good could come from this horrible song, I hope it's that someone who is a chronic drinker will hear it and decide that the booze just isn't worth it.

(That's really the only reason I can think of as to why Alan Jackson would choose to remake this John Denver "classic".) Ugh.



1) Last Christmas (by any and all artists who dared to record this irritating display of "music")




So, it should come as no surprise that I hate this song. With a passion.

Both Divulge with Dani and I have REPEATEDLY expressed our dislike for this Wham! song and all versions thereafter.

There are, like, only 15 words in the entire song, and it's so horrible that it's almost funny. (Almost, but not quite.)

I get that this song is about heartbreak, and, believe me, I've been there and have drowned my sorrows in more than my share of break-up songs..... but this one just has no place among the beloved Christmas carols of the season.

I mean, really? We go from Anne Murray's "O Come All Ye Faithful" to THIS disgrace of a song?!?

It has NOTHING to do with Christmas.

It just repeats the same line over and over again.

And it sucks.

To make matters worse, Taylor Swift has a version out on radio, which means that this song will continue to live on for years to come on both pop and country radio.

Thanks a lot, Taylor. Thanks a lot.

...... Somebody please pass me the holiday nog .......


---

All right, that's it for this week. Head on over to see what Divulge with Dani has come up with as well. (I'm pretty sure we'll have the same #1 pick, haha.)



1 comment:

  1. I feel the need to mention once again how much I hate Wham's Last Christmas. I know. It is January. Christmas is a long way off. But whatevs. The song sucks balls.

    ReplyDelete