Thursday, November 29, 2012

Friday's Top Five - Christmas Carols

Divulge With Dani and I are back, and we're ready to unleash our Christmas Crazy on you!

Dani has chosen the impossible task in that we're going to declare our love for the top five Christmas carols of all time. OF ALL TIME!

How can this be done, you ask? Well, the short answer is, it can't. There are just too many beautiful carols, too many festive carols, too many carols that take me back to a time of innocence in my youth........ so how can I narrow it down to just five?

I suppose all I can declare is that, right here and now, these are the five carols I'm holding dear in my heart.



Friday's Top Five - Christmas Carols:

5) Nuttin' For Christmas (by Sugarland)

Generally speaking, my favourite tunes at Christmas time are those of a religious nature. Jesus is the reason for the season, after all.

But every now and then I hear a song on the radio that reminds it's okay to have a little fun and not take the world so seriously all the time.

I dare you not to smile a little and remember what it was like to be a kid at Christmas time when you listen to this music.





4) God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman/We Three Kings (by The Barenaked Ladies & Sarah McLachlan)

This is my favourite version of these two songs, and it's also one of my favourite Christmas collaborations as well, featuring The Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan.

(I think the only other collaborators I put ahead of these artists in terms of Christmas carols is Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, simply because nobody does Christmas better than Dolly and Kenny.)

Anyway, have a listen to this piece of audio, and I guarantee you'll be tapping your toes and singing along.




3) Belleau Wood (by Garth Brooks)

The Battle of Belleau Wood took place during the First World War, and this song puts a face to the soldiers on BOTH sides who were there and fighting during Christmas.

I could ramble on about how touching this is, or I could just let you watch the video below and see for yourself. (Note: the actual music doesn't start playing until just after the 2-minute mark, but it's worth the wait.)




2) Mary Did You Know (by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd)

While I prefer Kenny paired with Dolly, Wynonna Judd singing with Kenny is a close second in my books, especially when it comes to this carol.

THIS is what Christmas is all about, and the lyrics paint such hauntingly beautiful imagery in my mind that I feel compelled to just stop and reflect whenever I hear this song.





1) What Child Is This (Greensleeves) (by Carrie Underwood)

Even though I've chosen the Carrie Underwood version of this hymn, you really can't go wrong with any of them. This song is just that beautiful.

In fact, even without the lyrics, I still can't get enough of this tune..... and that might explain why we have the front doorbell on our home set to play this music whenever anyone presses the buzzer.

(And, yes, we ring it ourselves at least three times daily, just to watch our daughter dance.)




---

All right, that's it for this week. Head on over to see what Divulge with Dani and (potentially) Juice with Junior have come up with as well.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for still including me although I am the King of Tardy with all posts. I'm getting interwebs in my new apartment tomorrow! I should hopefully be able to blog more after that and when I have free time. Free time, oh no.

    Anyway, love the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Junior! I always include the link to your blog because, frankly, it's a great blog even without the Friday's Top Five posts. :)

    ReplyDelete