Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cruise control

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. 
Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain - 

In May of last year, I chronicled the ins and outs of taking our baby with us on a Caribbean cruise, and I also vowed that we would do it again as she got older.

Well, she's older, and we did indeed do it again.



Last month we embarked on another cruising adventure and, let me tell you, it was INFINITELY easier this time around now that she's a toddler.

Our daughter is only two years old, but she's already been to 10 countries, traveled on 2 cruise ships, and taken 13 flights.

What a stark contrast from me; I didn't go on my first flight until I was 23 years old and paid my own way on a family vacation to Disneyland.

In the last eight years, though, I've more than made up for lost time, having visited the following destinations:
     
Mexico            Antigua                    Honduras                      
Bahamas        St. Kitts                    Belize
Puerto Rico    St. Lucia                  Turks and Caicos
Barbados       US Virgin Islands      Dominican Republic
Aruba             Dominica                  Cayman Islands
Curacao         Florida Keys

Never had I dreamed that I would be visiting so many tropical locales on a semi-regular basis, but it's all thanks to cruising.

Once upon a time, I thought cruise ship vacations were only for the rich and well-to-do, but we're living proof that this is simply not true.

Sure, cruising is not necessarily for everyone, and of course it has it's downsides as well. But, for the time being, our cruise vacations have been a wonderful blessing for our family and have allowed us to visit destinations we otherwise could never afford.



No comments:

Post a Comment