Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 Eleven years later

I intentionally wasn't going to comment on the significance of today, but then my friend Diana (who is originally from Maryland but occasionally has a mean Carolina drawl) said something that I felt compelled to share. Here is her story:

"I remember I was in shock for many days afterwards, like everyone else. Cell phone towers being jammed, all the channels on TV either "Down until further notice" or showing news footage, not hearing any planes outside for days (aside from F-16 fighters in the sky the day of). None of that made it seem real. What DID make it seem real? Jon Stewart's first show back, September 20th. It was the first time I heard him completely candid, open, honest, and emotional, and it was at that point I realized it happened and I couldn't pretend that it didn't anymore. Seeing one of the people I rely on to bring happiness and joy to millions break down into tears really jarred me. So, with that being said, here's my "I remember" 9/11 post of the day."

---I wasn't able to embed Jon Stewart's video clip, but you can watch it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment