Thursday, June 9, 2011

The days are long, but the year is short

Living in Canada, I feel blessed to have Maternity and Parental Leave benefits that have allowed me to stay home from work for an entire year following the birth of my daughter. And I admit that, while I was pregnant, I planned for this time off from work by mentally tallying up the multitude of tasks I would accomplish during this year.

(Read: I thought I'd finally find the time to organize my recipe binders, scrapbook my wedding photos from four years ago, and make it to the gym every day.)

Clearly, I had no realistic notion of how exhausting it would be to care for a baby.

But fast-forward to today, the day I've been dreading most for the last year, and I just don't know where the time has gone.

Yes, today is the day that my leave from work officially ends, and I was supposed to go back to work full time.

That's right, supposed to
 
I've elected to take an unpaid three-week extended leave from work so that I can continue to stay home with my daughter until my husband concludes teaching at the end of June. He'll then be home with her over the summer, and I'll be back at work as of July 4th.
 
Am I looking forward to this? Negatory.

In fact, I can't imagine how hard it will be to only see her for two hours a day, given that she'll be asleep when I leave in the morning and in bed again by 7:30pm each night.

While I'm grateful for my employment, I'm also resentful of the fact that I can't still have my daughter with me 24/7.

(I may have my own office, but I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon if I suggested setting up a playpen next to my desk.)

How exactly do other working moms do it?? Or, for that matter, single parents??
 

No comments:

Post a Comment