Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dolphin rescues

In the spring of 2005, I joined the ranks of some of the world's few and was able to swim with a dolphin. It happened in Cozumel, Mexico, which was one of our cruise ship's ports of call. As you can see, I loved it and rate it among one of the coolest things I've been fortunate enough to try.



Since seeing The Cove, I'm now more aware of what actually happens to dolphins that are brought into captivity, though, and it really is a sad, sad tale.

This little one was rescued just a few days ago from a beach in Europe, where it's believed to have been injured in some fishing nets.


The accompanying articles on this photo offered little by way of details, so I'm left to wonder about the fate of this little one. Will it be rehabilitated and then kept to live in captivity? Or will it be released into the wild once more?

And what of its mother? Will it survive in the wild without her, even if introduced to another pod of dolphins?

Given that I attained my wildlife biology degree in land-locked Alberta, dolphins clearly aren't my area of expertise. But regardless of where this little one ends up, I hope that it goes on to live a long, happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment