Sunday, June 13, 2010

Baby Story

From my hairstylist who was put on bed rest three months before her baby was due, to the woman whose water broke while getting a bikini wax, everyone I know has a story about their pregnancy and subsequent labour. Here is mine.

Monday, June 7 - Went into the hospital to be induced, which, by the way, is extremely unpleasant. I'll spare you the gory details, but just know that I was induced and then sent me home to wait it out.
Tuesday, June 8 - Nothing happened overnight, so it was back to the hospital for another induction. But rather than going the internal route again, they instead opted to give me drugs via IV (yay!). By 2pm, nothing had really changed (further proof that my body just wasn't ready to be giving birth), so they went to the last possible option for induction and just manually broke my water for me. (Sorry -- too much info??) After that the contractions came very quickly and were so strong that I was asking for drugs almost immediately, haha.

*Sigh* Bring on the drugs, I say.

But guess what? After several hours of pushing, I had made no progress. As in, I was fully dilated, but my baby wasn't budging. The doctor said she was too big for me, so once again we went to the last resort and I ended up having a c-section. I was drifting in and out of consciousness the whole time, but I do remember being hugely relieved once it was all over.

Her name is Marina Shea... and yes, her middle name is courtesy of the New York Mets' former ballpark, Shea Stadium. *

* Shea has a nicer ring to it than their current ballpark, Citi Field. Plus, this is one time where I can be thankful my husband is not a diehard Yankees fan, otherwise I would have found some way to incorporate Jorge Posada in there. I enjoy him.... and I also enjoy saying the name "Jorge", lol. 

Anyway, if you deliver vaginally they release you from hospital the next day, but with c-sections you're kept in hospital for a while because of the surgery, so we didn't get released until Friday night, June 11.

As an aside, I now have a huge scar that even a seasoned veteran would be proud of. Twelve staples later, it looks like I have a huge happy face going across my lower abdomen. (Or a frowny face, depending on where you're standing, haha.)
It's been a trying week, to say the least. Unlike some lucky women, I've been having a difficult time breastfeeding and am producing more blood than milk. I thought things were still okay, though, until I was told Marina wasn't getting enough to eat. Naturally, I didn't take that very well.
This is what was said to me by one of the nurses: "All babies lose 7-10% of their birth wieight by day 10, but yours has lost 11% on day two."
And this is what I heard: "You're starving your baby and she's failing to thrive...... Worst. Mother. Ever."
Ha, ahem... okay, so I was a little emotional and didn't take the news well. It's just that she was so small and innocent and completely dependant on me, and I couldn't even provide her the most basic needs. Things are definitely getting better, though, and she's starting to make up what she initially lost.
Since being home, things have been really hectic. Because of the c-section, I'm not allowed to drive for six weeks and am limited on what I can do around the house. (Not that I have the energy to do much anyway, though!) Luckily, my husband will be off work for a few weeks this summer, so I'll have no shortage of assistance where this little girl is concerned.

And, lastly, wearing the pink camoflauge outfit that my husband proudly purchased at Supply Sergeant when we found out we were having a little girl.

Because all good soldier's daughters are required to wear pink camouflage.

No comments:

Post a Comment