Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Unfinished

“Isn’t that the bridal shop where you broke down two days before we got married?”


I wish I could claim that my husband was referring to the location where my car might have broken down, but no. It was me. Crying -- in front of God and everyone -- at a very crowded bridal store two days prior to our wedding.

In defense of that establishment, they really had very little to do with my tears. But unfortunately for them, they just happened to be one of the last stops for me that day, during what had been an extremely stressful two years two weeks before our wedding date.

In those final days, it took very, very little to make me cry. And as one of the sales associates remarked as she tried to cheer me up with the offer of a free margarita drink,

“Aw, weddings are stressful, I know.”

Stressful indeed.

My husband and I are often asked if we would do anything differently if we had to do it all over again. And we just thoughtfully look at each other and proclaim, “If we had to do it all again….. we just wouldn't.”

And then we laugh and put everyone back at ease by saying that of course we would do it all again, but we just wish we had known then what we know now. (Doesn’t everyone??)

Throughout the ordeal that was our two-year-long engagement, I quickly discovered that there are a lot of outdated and impractical wedding guides floating around our library system. (Who still gets a blood test done before they get married? Anyone?)

And there was also next to nothing out there that could advise me on local (read: north of the 49th) establishments for everything from where to get my make-up done to where we could buy booze.

You know, the important stuff.

So after having pilfered ideas from everyone willing to tolerate my incessant questioning, I finally assembled the be-all-and-end-all of wedding organizers, which became my Bridal Bible, so to speak.

And, to this, my husband insightfully suggested that I should turn it into a book and use it to make us millions on which to retire help other brides in need.

Brilliant! Yes! I will write a book! It will be glorious, and I will do it now!

Fast forward two years and – you guessed it – I have yet to put pen to paper. (Or to make us millionaires. Not that the two are related.)

I’m fairly certain that my Native name would translate to something along the lines of Queen of Unfinished Projects. I start things. I get bored with things. I move on to new things.

But this book just won’t go away. It seems that every time a friend or family member has tied the knot in the last two years since our wedding (which would be a whopping total of 10 times), that spark is rekindled.

Just this past weekend, our friends Bonnie & Chris were married, and Bonnie graciously offered her wedding checklist to anyone who might use it in the near future. Naturally, I asked for a copy so that I could potentially use it as research for my book. To which she asked about the theme of my book and in what ways it would be set apart from other such books on the market.

Ahem.

You mean, I actually require a hard-and-fast plan for how I’m going to pull off this endeavor? And then I have to follow through with it?

It’s like she doesn’t even know me at all.

But now it’s out there. I’ve told people about what I want to do, so there's no turning back now. I have to do it. Or at least attempt it.

Because there are few things worse than having a great idea about something but then being too lazy -- that’s right, I said it -- to make that dream a reality.

"Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time."
- Arnold H. Glasow

No comments:

Post a Comment