Friday, July 3, 2009

The not-so-great-weightloss / facial-hair-challege of 2009

Ugh. I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, and it seems like I've lost and re-gained the same 30 lbs at least once every couple of years since 2004. (So if you do the math, that's 90 lbs lost and 90 lbs gained for a net change of zero. So unfair.)  But I'm not giving up, and so here I am, once again on a mission to trim down my not-so-pleasant assets.

The problem this time around, though, is that what has worked for me in the past is now somehow failing me.

Could it be that I'm aging and my metabolism has slowed down even more to the point where it's almost non-existant? Or is it just that I've lost all motivation and I'm just not trying hard enough to get in shape anymore? Truth be known, it's probably both. I'm definitely older. And I can't deny that I was far more dedicated before I got married and, ahem, let myself go (again).

So in an effort to support this on-going battle, my husband decided to up the ante a little bit and offer me an out-of-the-ordinary motivator to lose weight.

His facial hair.

Frankly, I hate it. Not just on him, but on 99% of men. His challenge is as such: Knowing how much I frown upon facial hair, my husband is not going to shave until I've lost 15 lbs. Now if that's not motivation enough for me to sweat off the fat, then nothing else will work. But my argument is this: It could take me months to lose 15 lbs, but he'll be ugly in just a week. (Because of all the facial hair, yo.)

Thankfully, my husband is a reasonable individual and conceded as much. The end result? He will only shave every time I hit the 5-lbs-lost mark. And, no, that doesn't mean I'm allowed to lose and regain and lose and regain the same 5 lbs over and over again. Because as we already know, no good can come of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment