Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lotto fever -- What would you do?

"The big secret in life is there is no secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work.
- Oprah Winfrey


Sure, I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

But still... wouldn't it be sweet to just win the lottery?!?

I admit I'm not a gambler. I've been to Vegas a couple of times, and the extent of my gambling involved dropping a dollar bill into a machine as I walked by. And when I didn't win, I was left with that why-on-earth-did-I-just-waste-a-dollar-on-that feeling. Ugh.

It's for this very reason that I never play the lotto, either... unless my husband calls to tell me that the jackpot is up to $49 million and then, by God, we will do whatever it takes to invest our $10 into the winning ticket.

Rewind to last Thursday morning, when my husband and I were laying in bed ignoring the clock-radio and it's signal that we should have gotten up 15 minutes earlier. We were still very sleepy, but there was one thing that made us wake right up: the CFCW radio announcer divulged that the last night's winning ticket was purchased in Edmonton.

That's right. One ticket. Forty-nine millions dollars. To someone here in Edmonton.

For half a minute we allowed ourselves to wonder... what if...?  

I envisioned  the home we've been holding out for...
 
 
 

The Toyota 4Runner that I now covet...
 
 


 
The bi-annual vacation to the tropics...

 
 
 

The personal trainer...
 

The myriad of pugs my husband wants to adopt...
 
 

The children we'll only have once we can afford them...

 
 
 

The house at the lake...
 
 
 

Liposuction... 
 

 
And enough free time so that we can do whatever the hell we want...
 
 
*Sigh*

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it turns out the winning ticket was purchased by 13 women who work in a downtown Edmonton payroll office. Each woman contributed $2.00 to the draw.... and each woman walked away with just over $3.8 million. 

It's not $49 million, but still.

So now that I'm all bitter and disillusioned again, I keep telling myself that things will still turn out okay for us as long as we work hard. Oprah says so!

Ah, hell. We're totally buying another ticket tonight on the way home from work. You can't win if you don't play.... and someone has to eventually win, so it might as well be us.

But I swear I'm not a gambler.

No comments:

Post a Comment