Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Confessions of a semi-Alpha Wife

The latest issue of Women’s Health magazine introduced me to a new term being used to encompass an old concept: Alpha Wives.

It describes the over-achieving, do-it-all, head-of-the-household type of woman we all want to be. In a lot of ways, I like to think I’m worthy of this title – even though I don’t exactly go grocery shopping in stilettos and a power-business suit while holding a child on my hip.


 

Reality: I’m usually in sweats, and my husband often has to remind me to put on a bra before I go out. Not exactly the image of an over-achiever, but I digress.

 

Like most things, this lifestyle does come at an expense, and it’s usually to one’s health and/or personal relationships. Lucky for me, I’ve been cutting back the number of hours I work each week and – surprise, surprise – my overall health has actually benefitted.

 

Simply losing the late nights and actually keeping regular hours each day has helped get my sleeping patterns back on track, and this alone has made a world of difference. All of a sudden I’m no longer exhausted and ready for a nap by 2 p.m. Just three months ago there was no way I had the energy to join the Running Room and meet with my group several times a week to go running after work, but now I’m doing it.

 

I’m also eating better, given that I now have the time to not only plan my meals in advance but also to actually prepare them. (See earlier post regarding eating Pringles for breakfast. NOT COOL.)     

 

And most importantly, in terms of my sanity, my husband is happy again. After a year of him telling me that the extra paycheque was nice but really not worth what it was costing us in our relationship, he finally has his wife back. We actually spend time together again. Every day, no less!

 

I’d be lying if I said I don’t cringe each time I examine our bank accounts these days, but my husband was right. I do miss the extra paycheques and the luxuries they brought, but it turns out I missed my life much more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment