Night of Wishes will raise funds that will be used to help ensure inner city students get a proper lunch and gain access to educational opportunities that are available to children in Edmonton’s more affluent schools.
The City Centre Education Partnership (CCEP) is responsible for overseeing several inner city schools -- namely Eastwood, Delton, Norwood, McCauley, John A. McDougall, Spruce Avenue, and Parkdale -- and they seek to foster environments that are conducive to bringing about positive educational outcomes for inner city children. The CCEP is committed to ensuring that poverty is not a limiting factor to students achieving academic and personal success.
This is the third fundraiser we've been involved with, and so far it's proven to be a very humbling (and sometimes trying) experience. We just didn't appreciate how difficult it is to solicit donations and contributions from community businesses / family members / friends until now that we've actually had to go out there and do it ourselves. It takes a special person to successfully do this time and again; the rejection we've sometimes received has been harsh, but when we've been successful, it really has been rewarding. One extreme to the other.
Many of our friends and family have realized how difficult and time-consuming organizing such a function can be, and they've graciously stepped up and offered their assistance.
Special thanks, in no particular order:
- To Carla (and Folklore Publishing), for offering five fabulous books that will be up for bids at our silent auction. (How the Italians Created Canada - I freakin' love it!!)
- To Danielle, for not hesitating to buy a ticket, speak at her RCIA meetings, or to
guiltattempt to convince her employers into making a donation.
- To Dominic, for volunteering to help out with the silent auction and for suggesting we start up a Facebook site for our fundraiser.
- To Rachel and Daniel (Diamonds Photography), for graciously offering a one-hour portrait session to be auctioned at our event. You guys really are the coolest.... ever.
- To Chiza and Darcy, for also volunteering your presence at our auction tables. (Darcy, if I owned a "Philosophy Factory", I would totally hire you in an instant!)
- To Dean, for buying a ticket and contributing a door prize even though you may be out of town that evening and not able to attend after all. Incredibly generous of you!
- To Teresa, for stepping up and offering multiple items to our function..... and for also harassing Toni to contribute something as well!
- And to David, for offering some very generous gift certificates from Il Pasticcio (only the best Italian restaurant in town, in my opinion!) to be auctioned at our event.
What: Night of Wishes
- Suporting the Children & Youth of the City Centre Education Partnership
Where: Santa Maria Goretti Community Centre
When: Saturday, October 25, 2008
Cocktails - 5:30 pm
Dinner - 7:00 pm
Dance to follow
Tickets $35.00 each (includes dinner & dance)
~ Lots of Door Prizes available to be won!
~ 50/50 Tickets are 10 for $5.00
~ Silent Auction will run throughout the evening