Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My champagne birthday



"A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other."
-UNKNOWN

My husband admitted to me that he was actually a little disappointed with my New Year's Eve blog about turning 30. In his mind, rather than simply reflecting on someone else's list of great achievements, he had expected me to make an original list of things I would actually like to accomplish myself in the following year(s). 

Several years ago -- 1995, to be exact -- I had been obsessed with the T.V. show Northern Exposure and purchased a small notebook with the cast on the cover, and I finally put it to good use last spring -- yes, I began compiling a list of things I wanted to do before I die. And I guess that coincides with what my husband wanted me to complile on here several weeks ago. 

So here it is, straight from the bound cover of my Northern Exposure notebook, a smattering of some things I'd like to try in the (near) future:

1. Go skydiving.

2. Have my husband show me around where he was stationed in Korea and throughout the Middle East.

3. Run a marathon.

4. Take a road trip across Canada and the U.S. and visit all the provinces/territories/states. (I've only done this in part so far.)

5. Go white water rafting.

6. Take my husband on a Caribbean cruise. (Gonna do it this April!!)

7. Try surfing.

8. Go on a volunteering vacation.

9. Take an African safari, ride the Orient Express, and visit the Great Wall of China.

10. Go on a hot air balloon ride.

11. Scuba dive.

12. Visit Ireland and Stonehenge.

13. Take in a Broadway musical.

14. Float in the Dead Sea. (I had the chance in high school... but then the trip was cancelled due to "security" reasons, ahem.)

15. Touch the pyramids. (Is that even allowed?)

16. Visit Calabria and Libya.

17. Make a comprehensive family tree complete with photos and detailed descriptions. (Sigh... this has eluded me most of my life.)

18. Build a fire without the use of matches/lighters/kindling soaked in kerosene.

19. See the polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba.

20. Be a member of the live studio audience at any gameshow/sitcom taping.

21. Try caviar.

22. Plan a "Girl's Day" at a shooting range.

23. Attend an Olympic sporting event.

24. Milk a cow.

25. Continue ballroom dance lessons with my husband.

26. Bike across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

27. Learn to play a musical instrument (and play it well, damnit!).

28. Attend an NFL game live. Or Nascar.

29. Visit the Anne of Green Gables house in Prince Edward Island.

30. See the Galapagos tortoise and Darwin's finches for myself. ("If there is the slightest foundation for evolution, the zoology of the Galapagos will be well worth examining...")

 
While it's far from being an exhaustive list, it's a start. And if I do manage to accomplish everything on this list, I'll be that person who just doesn't shut up at dinner parties. Or, as my husband put it, I'll be that person who quietly knows that someone else has no idea what they're talking about. 

[.....insert mischievous grin.....]

No comments:

Post a Comment